!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> A Mama's World: A statement

Saturday, October 19, 2013

A statement

So this mother sitting outside with me casually said, 'The ratio of intake is 2:1 for boys to girls'.

It favoured A, but I was surprised at the ratio. That seemed quite skewed to me. If anything, it should have been the other way round considering the performance of girls in academics recently. It did not sound right to me. On hearing me she very firmly said, ' But boys are smarter than girls - girls are more well rounded in development, but boys are smarter.'
That was quite a statement. I never was brought up believing such a myth and yet the conviction in her voice and the deliberation by a well reputed government agency was quite astounding to me. It reminded me of the bengali lady long time back who very convincingly told me the same - 'chheleder buddhi to onek beshi, onko te to meyera onek pichhiye' - huh?! 
I know at least 3 girls who were way ahead of 200 boys learning in the same maths class - whither 'Shakuntala Devi'? .... Averages are rubbish when it comes to predicting individual performance - how can they generalize? Maybe they do not, maybe the statistics is revealing only 'averages' - but a fixed ratio as skewed as 2:1, is not an accidental occurrence - it is deliberate manipulation!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home