!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> A Mama's World: Kids and Parental pressure

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Kids and Parental pressure

Even when I juggle to keep the balance between them and myself ...
Today when I went to school for a meeting and some parents said how they were amazed at Arunav's maths skills and they went on and on for a while...in spite of myself, I couldnt but feel touched.

I always try to think, they will grow and who knows who is going to become what - who is good in maths, who is good in art now at the age of 6 - does that ensure my little kids will be happy in life?

I want him to be a good human being
I want him to be happy
I want him to be ready to bear the storms of life....
I want him to be someone who can stay positive in spite of setbacks, failures and mistakes in life
I want him to never lose the zeal for life...no matter what life deals out to him

yes, that's all that I want for him..... (ha ha, such a long list of wants and then I say "that's all that I want for him!!)

So I try not to get myself too bothered about whether he does good in this or that. Yet, I could not but feel glad today...ha, I was disappointed at my reaction!

I have to tell myself 10 times over again - no dont be glad, if you feel glad about that, unconsciously you will want him to be good at this and that....so dont get into that trap....dont get into that trap of parental pressure of performance!

2 Comments:

At 6:03 PM, Blogger Aparna said...

interesting! u know, as long as u are just happy in that feeling of knowing ur kid accomplished something ( without expecting/wanting any more from him), u won't fall into that trap...but i think it gets harder not to set higher expectations as they grow older...

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Tuya said...

I know, I feel constantly under pressure even now - so I know it is going to get tougher....but I remember, my mom allowed me to read Gone with the Wind the whole day, the day before my engg. entrance exams....she didnt say a thing - who knows i may have done much better if I revised - but she always let me choose....could she have done it, if she had very high expectations and would i be better off? I dont know....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home