!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> A Mama's World: Away from 'power'

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Away from 'power'

The heat was fading as the night advanced; the breeze from the surrounding trees picked up; the lantern(the bengali name of this lantern is pronounced 'harry-cane') glowed in the darkness which was as dark as darkness can get. At the corner of the room there was a lone firefly (jonaki) trying to get out. In spite of the heat, I loved that. Being as far away from ..... what shall I call it.... is it being far away from 'civilization'? No surely not, they are poor, they struggle for the daily bread but they ARE civilized - even when they push their way into the overcrowded bus, they are civilized. So what should I call this life away from the 'comforts' of urban life as we know it - being away from internet, electricity and even regular water supply inside your home.... Anyway, I digress....

I enjoyed it - life so basic. You light up a fire to cook food, walk to the nearest fresh water pond for water... when night comes and there's no electricity, no television, no internet, you watch the stars, smaller but brighter than many halogen lamps.... the moonlight on the pond water shimmering - so unreal and yet what is more real? You listen to the sounds of nature around - song to the ears; you sing your song.

When I see life like this, I forget all my insecurities, I realize again I dont need much to live. The 'comforts' - they actually make me weaker, make me more insecure; I think how can I live without them - I struggle to keep them; but I dont really need them to live real life. Life is simple.

6 Comments:

At 12:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

T, when are you writing your first book?
I think there's (at least) one simple and beautiful book in you....a variant of 'Notes to Myself'...

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger Tuya said...

Thank you!! I dont know who you are, but you certainly made my day. Yes, long time back a very good friend made me read 'notes to myself'.... I dont think I can ever make/write such deep observations :)

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Tuya said...

but yes, I always dream of a book - I love to write, I just dont know how to go about writing a book!

 
At 12:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah, ha.. the thrill of anonymity....

Rain, thunder, music, solitude, fading memories, longing....the beads are all there. Now all that remains is for you to string it all together with a single thread.

Give it a shot when you feel like it...and whisper to the world (right here perhaps) when it's taken some shape. I'm sure some known/ unknown 'friends' will be only too willing to get it through to a nice publisher (though you are more than capable of finding one yourself!).

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

That was a very profound observation.....our luxuries do indeed make us more insecure, while just one prolonged delinking from this'abnormal normal' life to basic simple life makes you realize where the true treasure lies....

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger Tuya said...

To my anonymous friend, Thank you again, you have set me thinking :)

Kakul - I know it sounds profound but it came without effort, those were exactly what went through my mind at that moment I sat in that darkness and clicked the photo.... I can survive.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home