!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> A Mama's World: The smell of books

Saturday, August 21, 2010

The smell of books

is what hits you when you enter this street. The musty, dusty, mite-y, nose-tingling sensation is one feeling that I come back for in this place which is called College Street.
There is probably no books you cannot find in this weird haunt. You may have to dig deep through 1000s of really dusty books before you get there, but you will definitely find it. There are really big nice books stores in the city now, but I cannot get over the addiction of this haunt. When I am done, I have smudges all over my face and hands like a street urchin, but I also have the happy feeling and the smile that the little urchin probably carries :)
At times, I dont even buy the books. I love to be there (ok, I am weird!)..... I love to see the names, touch the books(explains the smudges!), flip through them and just catch a few lines here and there....
"....for the best is bought at the cost of great pain....or so says the legend"
"....que tout craque, amour et beaute..."
".....peeko kiba kunje kunje kuhu kuhu kuhu gay......"

and the cramped bookstore vanishes around you, you are in the world that the black printed words build up...... sometimes with Tennyson, Keats, Kafka, sometimes Baudelaire, sometimes Tagore...... you are free. No boundaries contain you.

3 Comments:

At 11:41 AM, Blogger anuja said...

i LOVE going to college street as well

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger anuja said...

not to mention the coffee shop there

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger Tuya said...

Yeah :) The Chuckerberty and Chuckerberty beside the Coffee House is my favourite haunt with their really dusty books - they give me 15% discount now - I have been buying at wholesale from there!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home