!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> A Mama's World: The cry

Monday, January 17, 2011

The cry

I write every year at this time. This time of the year always affects me so deeply. The school interview time. It deeply affects me because I watch the little children and their parents. I cannot decide for whom my heart feels more. There is something wrong in the system that every year I cannot but feel 'this is not right'. Yet I dont know any other way.

I was sitting in C - one of the famous international schools in HK. Aarushi had gone in for her interview. Unlike our first time there with Arunav, I was relaxed and knew it was not the end of the world. I also knew my relaxation had a threshold (it was not like I was watching a funny movie!). And so was Aarushi's - she knew it was not a 'playdate'!

As I sat with the sun streaming down my back, sipping a warm cup of tea - there came this heart-rending cry of a child echoing in that huge high-ceiling hall "I AM SOOORRRRY PAPA". The cup in my hand trembled at the sound - it really pierced through me. And it came on and on - again and again 'I am sorry papa" as the child wailed away.

The little 3 year old was standing outside the interview hall - his pants wet, mortified look on his face and still crying the same words. It was all I could do to control my tears. I saw the same look in the face of the 3 parents sitting across me....

And even now as I sit and write this I cannot forget that howl. And we think we are very convincing when we tell them "dont worry you will just go in and play"!

2 Comments:

At 12:08 PM, Blogger Aparna said...

heart-rending!! i feel for the poor kids and yes, the parents too.

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger Tuya said...

Apu - I still have to swallow when I remember that.... always a big debate whether more good quality schools are a solution or parents' ambition of getting kids into 'perceived good schools' will overshadow that....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home