!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> A Mama's World: Back to Mama's world with the Chinese mom

Friday, January 14, 2011

Back to Mama's world with the Chinese mom

I return today. The other world rests.

So there is this article which created so much furor.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704111504576059713528698754.html

When I first read it, yes I was shocked and thought this must be a joke.
But then I saw it making the rounds everywhere, saw the outraged comments, some favourable comments - I realized it is not such a bad thing after all. Even if it was done by media for publicity of upcoming book, etc. It set people thinking; people who were sitting cushily on their chairs and parenting just like they would drink a cup of tea - it made them sit up, think, debate and made parenting an active job, the process of which also needs to be reviewed.


For me, it set me thinking after my initial outrage. Yes, actually children dont need freedom in many aspects of their life and if they are given that freedom - they feel very uncomfortable, they dont know where the boundaries are.
But the fun aspect should never be taken away. In fact, no playdates shocked me and then I realized in lot of these playdates the kids enjoy for a while before they end up being miserable due inevitable fights. However, what I dont know is if I keep them away from playdates will they develop their EQ of how to interact with others well enough?
Choosing the musical instruments for them - why not? I remember a very informed lady who has been running one of the most famous kindergartens had once told me.

Children independence is sometimes overrated. I have parents who come and tell me they ask the 4/5 year old children to choose which school they want to go to. That is being stupid, children cannot make such choices! But do you need to choose their toy for them - no that they should choose.

It made lot of sense to me - so yeah, after I sat back and thought - I still dont agree with many of the stuff in the article but I certainly have more overall respect for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home