!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> A Mama's World: Readathon

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Readathon

It's so easy for people to blame mothers for everything that goes wrong with a child - I understand that. What I do not understand - it is easy to blame even if things go well with the child!

Arunav won a reading competition and I had to hear lot of oblique comments about how I am putting pressure on the child. I have committed lot of 'mother'ly sins like whacked Arunav, shouted at him when I was stressed about something else,etc,etc - but I never pressurise him on this. I am lucky he is till now interested in books - how is that my fault? I cannot possibly discourage him!!

5 Comments:

At 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its really awesome to know that your kid in this age, is able to read the books and win competition too.
Does he able to read the words? What kind of books he likes to read?

I am just curious to know because my kid is 5 yrs old but he knows only simple words like ant, cat, rat etc..

And offcourse, I am not paranoid to push him in a corner to get at par with Arunav.. :)

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger Tuya said...

aha - I am glad you said the last. I hate putting Arunav thru any comparative pressure and very much dislike if others want to do the same - very wary of queries like 'how many books does he read in a day?'(Truthful answer to that is - he sits whenever he feels like n there r tons of days when he read none at all). They are giving them very basic books in school - with just a few lines/words in a page. Once they get a hang of the phonics - the words become very easy for them to read - there's a big jump is their capability - it's just that stage u need to wait for. Arunav likes Oxford Reading Tree one - I like them too!

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Tuya said...

One more thing - from school they give them 7-8 pages book which are in the series Reading 360, The Ginn Reading Programme. I find them very good for beginners - builds up a lot of confidence!

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

hey congratulations, not for u but arunav.although i dont know about ur hubby but i think he got his reading habit from your genes.i still remember how u wud literally gobble up books from the school library.anyway don't be discouraged by others just go ahead and teach ur children to do their own thing.people will talk for awhile but ignoring them wud shut them up.luv to them.

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Tuya said...

that's why they say friends are priceless - they know exactly what to say to soothe a hurt soul and put your spirits right back where it should be - THANKS! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home