!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> A Mama's World: How much competition is good?

Tuesday, December 02, 2008

How much competition is good?

There was a Maths costume day in Arunav's school. Arunav put in a lot of effort - one whole weekend - to make a 'mathematical' t-shirt and went to school all charged up. What his parents were not too aware of was one of the costumes will be awarded.
The little boy(yes, I insist a 4 year old IS a 'little boy') came home with tears in his eyes and only babbling 'Mamma I wanted to win too - I put up my hand but they did not pick me. I did not go to the stage.'

I would have explained to him, this is part of compeititon - some other time u will win - but standing there beside the bus stop holding him close to me, I could not make myself utter those meaningless words to a 4 year old. I could only feel his heavy heart wailing away and wondered what sort of world gives prizes for fun costumes a 4 year old takes pain to prepare! If it is a Numeracy exam or a Race - yes, by all means one wins, others lose. A costume is for fun and they are subjective(especially for 4 year olds).

We want our children to go to competitive schools and then we are left to wonder how far does this go. Or is it only me who feels this is not right....??

2 Comments:

At 1:53 AM, Blogger tinku said...

I think you should let know the school authority about your view. I think they should have given prizes to everybody in this case.

Or talk to few other parents about it. Submit a group complain. Please don't feel bad and stay quiet.

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Tuya said...

:) ami ki chup thakar meye - but in some places, we have to choose our battles.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home