!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> A Mama's World: Edith Piaf

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Edith Piaf

La Vie en Rose - the first French film I watched. I loved it. It is the life of Edith Piaf who I now know is a legendary singer of France. It's the force in her songs that moved me so much - she sings with all her heart. My favourite is "Non, je ne regrette rien"

Non rien de rien
Non je ne regrette rien
C'est paye, balaye, oubliye
Je me fous de passe

Ni le bien qu'on m'a fait
Ni le mal tout ca m'est bien egal
Non, rien de rien
Non, je ne regrette rien
Car ma vie, car mes joies
Aujourd'hui, ca commence avec toi!

Rough translation:
No I dont regret anything
It's paid for, removed, forgotten
I am happy of the past.
Not the good things people have done to me, nor the bad things
It's all the same, no I dont regret anything.
Because my life, my joys
Today they begin with you!

But it's not only the words, it's the music and the way it is sung - what force in a song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Kvu6Kgp88

4 Comments:

At 11:01 PM, Blogger Wee Kean said...

I looooooooooove Edith Piaf and the movie too!!! I have her CD and her voice/songs always make me feel like wanting to cry...

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger Tuya said...

I know exactly what you mean! I have been blinking many times while listening to that song...

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger anuja said...

thanks for introducing me to such a lovely voice...+ lyrics are very meaningful.....

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Tuya said...

I must lend you La vie en Rose then - it is a lovely movie on her life....very strong.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home