!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> A Mama's World: Being a Mother

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Being a Mother

How do the world look at mothers?

1. An old college pal, was very impressed by my achievements in school, university and the fact I worked in a good company in Tokyo and wanted to network with me. When I updated him, I am not working any more and staying at home to take care of my kids - the emails stopped and gather much of the admiration.

2. Today another old school pal said something very interesting to me," What will all your REC and IIMB profs say when they hear you are not working anymore - they took so much pain to teach you!"

Those words made me feel as if I "should be" guilty - I was taught under the obligation I will keep working for the multitude. Yes, it hurts when people think that way and tell you so. But it still doesnt make me feel guilty, for I know what I am doing is invaluable. I have proved myself to myself - sometimes the image in the mirror encourages me through these words which hurt so.

8 Comments:

At 11:16 PM, Blogger Wee Kean said...

3) When I was working, I was always "popular" in social function as people liked to ask about my opinion about certain issues... Now, when I said I am a stay at home mum, the conversation stopped...

4) My friends said:"Your parents spent so much money and effort to put you to law school and you are now a "nanny"! - What an investment!"

5) Many old or new friends always said this whenever they found out that I am "not working" "Wah, you must be very free!"

6) .....

BTW, read an article the other day, that a housewife's salary should be around HKD 76K per month! Not bad huh??

Sorry for the long comment... can't agree with you more about what you said....

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger Tuya said...

Thanks Wee Kean - couldnt agree more with all your points too! I wish I could 'read; your blog too :)

 
At 7:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It might surprise a lot of us that you've quit the corporate world; but I doubt if that reduces the admiration. Quite to the contrary, I'd think. The corporate world's loss is the children's gain [and then, is there any comparison?], and dare I say, your own gain---the fulfillment from watching almost every step of their growth. Ask folks like us who carry some guilt for not spending as much time as we'd want to..

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Tuya said...

Thanks dear friend - that means a lot to me. Btw, it was a mutual friend who made that comment and prompted this post :)

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey never ever feel guilty, for the rewards will be much, much more that HKD 76K per month, it is a long term investment.

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger Tuya said...

Thanks Ge - no I dont feel guilty, not at all - in spite, when people tell me I have wasted my education, I do feel bad(not bcoz I think so too) but bcoz people think that way :)

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

It is really difficult to remain unaffected by such comments and force you to justify your decision .... but never mind ...you're enjoying every bit of it and that is what matters.

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Tuya said...

Yes, you are right. And you wonder why you need to justify...it is your life and it is your family after all :) But we are social animals - society affects us more than we dare to admit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home