!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> A Mama's World: Cultural Diversity

Friday, February 13, 2009

Cultural Diversity

In my previous office trainings to do away with discrimination were called the captioned and since it is a better sounding term, I will stick to it.

When I stepped into Arunav's previous school I met Chinese, Malaysian, English, Italian, American, Indian, Belgian, French and many others and I never felt the person in front was embarassed to have been spoken to. We spoke English - some were native speakers and some were just about managing to converse, but still we spoke about our children, how to make our lives with our children better - we spoke of educational issues, parenting issues - language or cultural differences were never such a big issue in our talking together.

In Arunav's new school, I often happen to embarass others by saying 'hello' - they soon have to find a way out of the conversation and I sometimes wonder - maybe my English is accented and they dont understand me or maybe we dont have anything in common to talk about....

So I started observing the children playing and also finding out about the situation in other schools. Whether I mix around or not is not important, whether my son is mixing around or not is super important to me. And for whatever reason, I realised there is really very little mixing among the kids - not till they grow up some more(ages 8/9?).... and the story seems to be same in all big schools. That is such a surprise to me and makes me feel really sad. I dont know whether I want my child to grow up knowing the difference in this light....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home