!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> A Mama's World: The Best times are always "now" and postponement of gratification

Monday, April 07, 2008

The Best times are always "now" and postponement of gratification

Last Friday some hot oil burnt my hand while I was cooking. Arunav's concern on what to do and what to put and his shouting at the gas stove ("dont you ever do that again" - ah he is now a typical boy who resolves everything with aggresion) brought sweet tears in my eyes....

I am glad I chose to spend these precious moments with them and not be locked in a corporate world so far away from these lovely feelings which tug at your heart every now and then. Oh I sometimes DO miss that feeling of being in control, of power, of achievement, of the applause of over-performance - it will soon be 2 yrs since I made the conscious choice. And even today I am soo glad of my decision.

When I was a student, after every exam came the gratification of a thing well done. When I moved to corporate life, the reward was at the end of a project or end of year(when things went fairly;) . With child rearing, I feel the gratification gets further postponed - will he/she grow up to be a child you are proud of rearing? Who knows, who can tell - can we link the response we give to a child's question today to how he will respond to others? Difficult - but I think as life progresses, we become mature enough to handle the postponement of gratification.


What keeps us going are these small small moments - I would never trade these lovely moments - they are, as the ads might say "priceless".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home