!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> A Mama's World: When the little ones throw surprises

Friday, February 29, 2008

When the little ones throw surprises

I must record this just so I remember how much Arunav surprised me. He was busy playing 'Bob the Builder' in cbeebies and I was reading a Jeffrey Archer. He finished one game and asked me to tell him the score - just to shake him off(oops) I said, "what do you think?" (I was absent-minded and deep into the book). Arunav said, "81." That made me stop reading - for I have never spoken to him any number beyond 30. I was pleasantly surprised and told him - wow that's good - it seems you can read your numbers ...
I again peaked into my book and Arunav in his game - he then said,"Mummum now I have scored 83." I nodded without looking at him and said,"Good - which is more - 81 or 83?" He was silent for a while and said," 83?" - he had a question mark in his tone - I told him he is right and completely without thinking asked him," By how much is 83 more than 81?" There was a long silence and I rephrased," How much do you need to add to 81 to make it 83?"

That was when he gave his bolt from the blue - he said." 1 and 2 - I can put 2 more and make 83." - he had two of his little fingers up. I had to stop reading my book then - I was so surprised. I have never spoken ever in these lines and they are no where near discussing such stuff in school(he is 3.5 yrs!!). I felt very tempted to explore a bit more - but decided not to tamper with natural behaviour and left it at that. I cant wait to know more of what lies beneath :)

1 Comments:

At 12:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard of a word somewhere...excuse me if I can't spell it right... I think it's called genius (something like that).
May be it that way!
Genius is in the genes, m'am!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home